Not Theology?


"It's not theology," said Ron Howard, director of The DaVinci Code.

Not theology?? When I read the book, I saw a lot of theology in there -- lousy theology.

The blockbuster will create a great opportunity for theological discussions.

Jim Garlow has put together some helpful Da Vinci Code resources, and Willow Creek is doing something interesting with it.

At our church, my good friend, Steve Gerich, is teaching a class on it -- but we're not making it the "grand theme" for everything.

I've heard that bankers recognize counterfeit bills because they spend so much time with genuine ones. As we make the "Real Thing" our constant focus, the artificial will dim in comparison.

When I hear reports that this will be the greatest outreach tool the world has ever seen, I raise a skeptical eyebrow. I've heard that hype before. . . last year . . . and the year before that.

Nevertheless, this will open the door for some significant spiritual conversations with people who usually don't talk about such things -- and for that I am eager.

Comments

  1. Anonymous2:03 PM

    Mark, I agree that we should not make "The DaVinci Code" a grand theme. I see no reason to draw attention to the works of an enemy. I have had some new believers with questions and want to be prepared to answer them confidently.I believe it's important to sift fact from fiction and present the gospel clearly. We are planning to present a DVD on "Decoding and Declaring the Truth"in an evening service. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thought...i totally agree...and in fact...the Church has gotten some bad press here in Milwaukee for how big they have blown this movie up...too bad.

    My thought is that this movie is just like that mosquito in your previous post...while the world is hungry for something real, we swat at the little things trying to suck the blood out of the cross. Focus on the Gospel, and the message of Jesus Christ will not be stopped, slowed down, or diluted. It can't...it is Holy Spirit driven!!

    as for me and my house, we will rent it when it comes out on video. But the book is always better then the movie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies