The Valley of Vision



Today, at church, I preached on Job, and the questions that arose from his sufferings:

Job's wife's question: "Why try?" (Curse God and die!)
Job's question: "Why me?"
Job's comforters tried to answer the "Why me" question with "What's wrong with you?"

Then, finally, God speaks up with a few questions of His own: "How many worlds have you created?"

As I started the message, we prayed this prayer aloud together:

HIGH AND HOLY, MEEK AND LOWLY,
Thou hast brought me to the valley of vision,
where I live in the depths but see thee in the heights;
hemmed in by mountains of sin I behold thy glory.
Let me learn by paradox
that the way down is the way up,
that to be low is to be high,
that the broken heart is the healed heart,
that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit,
that the repenting soul is the victorious soul,
that to have nothing is to possess all,
that to bear the cross is to wear the crown,
that to give is to receive,
that the valley is the place of vision.
Lord, in the daytime stars can be seen from deepest wells,
and the deeper the wells the brighter thy stars shine;
Let me find thy light in my darkness,
thy life in my death,
thy joy in my sorrow,
thy grace in my sin,
thy riches in my poverty,
thy glory in my valley.

--by Arthur Bennett in The Valley of Vision (a collection of Puritan prayers)

Comments

  1. Anonymous9:40 AM

    What an awesome and humbing way to begin. I can not thank you enough for sharing this.

    It is a confirmation that how God is working in me is indeed Him. I give Him praise and glory for showing me who He is and how he created everything - valleys and all - all for His glory!

    It's been through some challanging times that I want to whine and say why does it have to be like this? But then I look back at how faithful He has been and remember that He is trustable. This time has been so precious to me. I wouldn't trade it for the world and I'm no where near what Job went through. Do you think Job woulda traded that time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:56 PM

    Mark, so many times the easiest thing to do is to complain about our trials rather then to ask God what He has for us to learn from them. God uses our trials to mold and make us into what He wants us to be. We need to do our part and be a willing participant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings