L. H. Wheeler



Yesterday, I took the kids on a field trip, in search of clues about L. H. Wheeler, the great missionary. (The rain kept us from a full exploration -- but we'll go back!)

This is an amazing story!

Wheeler, a missionary to the Native Americans, snowshoed 250 miles to catch a train for Washington to shut down the notorious "Indian Ring" which was scheming to steal the L. C. O. Reservation.

The heroic feat cost Wheeler his health -- his feet were battered and bloody, and he lost the use of one lung. However, the reservation land was saved!

Wheeler served with the protestant mission at La Pointe, on Madeline Island. He also founded the town, Odanah, on the Bad River, and in his later years, invented the first "mass-produced" windmill.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:10 AM

    I knew you'd manage to work a field trip into your school day! Your studies about Mr. Wheeler reminded me about a great book I've meant to mention to you--I think the title is "Life with the Ojibway", by Howard Paap. I met Howard last month at a poetry reading; he's a retired anthropology professor, married to a native american lady. The stories he tells are just beautiful, humorous, and give great insight into the culture. I don't own a copy but will try get one soon and pass it on to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies