Fret Not

"Fret not thyself. . ."

That's the way the first verse of Psalm 37 begins (in the King James Version) and it's a word aptly spoken.

It's easy to find ourselves fretting and stewing over circumstances beyond our control. Without even realizing it, toxic, anxious thoughts can seep into the mind, and poison the spirit. That's not the way it's supposed to be. We were not created for inner discord, frets and fears.

Instead, in the original design, we were made for faith. This quest for faith is embedded deep in every human heart. People might try to deny it, but it's still a reality! We're hard-wired to believe in The One who is greater than ourselves.

God created us to worship and acknowledge Him -- and in a very practical way, this means trusting Him with all our circumstances. ALL of them!!

Now, that's easier to SAY than DO.

One day, recently, my beautiful wife, Cathy noted that I was fretting and fussing over some financial difficulties. Gently, she reminded me that I ought to practice what I preach and spend more time praying than worrying about the situation. You know, she was absolutely right!

As I took my burdens to God in prayer, I felt a heavy weight lifted from my shoulders. When I said "amen", I took a deep breath and found myself lighthearted and free! There was no more anxious care churning in my stomach. I gave the problem to the Lord, asked for divine wisdom and peace, then left the results in His hands! What a joyous liberation!!

The outward "circumstance" remained the same -- but my perspective improved tremendously. I realized that somehow, someway everything was going to work out alright. The best is yet to come!

"Hope springs eternal in the human breast" said the poet, Alexander Pope. There's nothing coming your way that you and God can't handle together.

Comments

  1. Anonymous2:38 PM

    Me and God from YouTube and Josh Turner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfZkwhkjWcg&NR=1
    Bill K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:56 PM

    Fussing and Fretting about anything does not do anything to help the situation.

    I've found that God will do his part after He is positive I have done my part.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings