The Rick Warren Flap

Listening to the news, one would think that Obama picked Fred Phelps to say the Inauguration Prayer. The virulent backlash is unwarranted. President-elect Obama is right to hold his ground on this one.

The irony is that if you look at the wide spectrum between conservative fundamentalism and left-wing liberalism, Rick is in the middle between them. He's a moderate, for heaven's sake!

Some are calling him a gay-hating bigot.
At the same time, fundamentalist watchdog groups are calling him a wolf in sheep's clothing.

John Leo has made some insightful observations at Huffington Post.

The problem with being a bridge is that you get stepped on from both sides!

Comments

  1. Anonymous8:50 AM

    John Leo's phrase, "organized tantrum," pretty much sums it up. I can just see our heavenly Father watching.

    Also your comment about the bridge is excellent. And consider this--if you refuse to use the bridge, is there an easier way to get where you want to go? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:10 AM

    Again, most are shouting, a few are whispering. But...who is listening. AND I am talking about both ends of the bridge.

    If they advance to to the middle of the bridge, I would like to see the bridge collapse and all be dumped into the icy water below to cool-off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:15 AM

    Mark,

    Would you have accepted this invitation is asked?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:05 PM

    Well, I didn't get asked,so I don't have to worry about it.

    If I were asked, I'd pray about it and do what I felt God was directing me to do at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:47 PM

    I bet YOU would have been asked if Hillary had been elected. HEE HEE HA HA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession