A Reset Button for Joy and Peace

Sometimes, when climbing out of bed I must remind myself of Psalm 118:24: “This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.” This exercise is especially helpful on days when there are major challenges before me, and serves as a spiritual/emotional reset button for a “faith lift."

This is the Day: Today really counts. In fact, it’s the only day I have. I don’t have yesterday. It’s already gone. There’s no guarantee about tomorrow. But I do have this golden opportunity called today to treasure and I can make the most of it! John Wesley said “redeem the time, for that’s the stuff life is made of.” Moments are precious. Every breath we take is a special gift.

This is the day to live! Some folks live in yesterday's regrets; others live in the dread or wishfulness of tomorrow; but, we are called to live today. Make today count!

The Lord Has Made: I realize that I’m not in charge. Every morning, when I rise, the Lord has already made my day!

A guaranteed path to misery is trying to control outcomes. We have no control over much of what happens in life, and we certainly can’t control other people or their decisions. The only thing we can control is how we respond to the various situations we encounter. We must take them as they come, embracing life on its own terms.

If our happiness depends on what somebody else does (or doesn't do), we’re automatically doomed to unhappiness. Nobody will always do what makes you happy. Nobody can fulfill every expectation!

Even God doesn't fulfill every expectation. But, the point is simple: we’re not in charge! We don’t have to control it! Since the Lord made it, He can handle it however He sees fit. 

I Will Rejoice and Be Glad in It: This is an attitude issue.

Regardless of what happens, I’ll search for a blessing and cultivate gratitude,

Even in difficult circumstances, I still can rejoice and be glad. Joy and gladness come from above and within, and not from external situations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession