Northwoods Cathedral


On Tuesday this week, my son Adam and I went on an overnight backpacking trip.

We set up camp about three miles from the trailhead, on a point overlooking Rock Lake, and then hiked a labyrinth of trails until sunset. We covered miles of forest -- and didn't run into another person!

The camp at Rock Lake is what I imagine Sigurd Olson's Listening Point to be.

As the evening shadows lengthened, Adam and I both sat quietly -- together in solitude.
We pondered and prayed -- occasionally breaking the silence with a few words and laughter.

A loon's haunting call echoed across the valley. Bass splashed after waterbugs. A bald eagle soared in the sky.

Daylight ebbed to darkness -- and Rock Lake transformed before our eyes into a temple -- a deeply spiritual place paying reverent homage to our Creator.

I cannot imagine a person returning from the woods an atheist.

I also cannot imagine a better way to bid my college bound son farewell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession