Relatives in Britain

A few weeks ago, I returned from a sabbatical, (funded by a Louisville Institute Grant.) My travels took me to Great Britain.

A friend recently asked, "Did you see any relatives over there?"

To this, I replied, "Yes! Millions of them!"

And that's the truth! Everybody is related to everybody. Together, we are all members of the human family -- all sons of Adam and daughters of Eve.

To put it another way, we're all US! There's no such thing as "us" and "them". Everybody is a part of the "us"!

Wouldn't it be great if every human being viewed all the others as "us" instead of "them".

What if Israeli's and Palestinians thought of each other as members of the same family? What if all Americans laid aside their prejudice against people of other racial groups, and embraced each other? (I recently filled out an end of the year report form for our congregation. One question asked, "What is the predominant racial make-up of your congregation?" My answer, "Human.")

What would happen if we began to build bridges of unity rather than walls of separation?

What if we all began to think of "us together" instead of "us" against "them"?

Wars would cease.
World hunger would be eliminated.
Senseless violence would be vanquished.
Turmoil and strife would end.

I realize that's wishful postmillenial thinking. (I don't really consider myself a postmillenialist but an optimist!) The Bible, of course, reminds us that there will continue to be "wars and rumors of wars upon this earth -- and the poor we will always have with us."

Yet, I cannot help but wonder what difference it would make, if we began to seriously follow the path of love and light candles in the darkness.

Comments

  1. Hey, "Cuz"!

    This is kind of a "multi-level" response to your blog, so here goes....

    1. I think we ARE related, in a roundabout way! If you're the Mark Wilson I think you are, my sister Doreen is married to your wife's cousin Tim. (Ask your in-laws if they know Corwin and Ruth.)

    2. I have a son and daughter-in-law at BBC! (Nate and Tiff) Living in Indiana, I understand sending your child so far away...kinda like somebody punched a hole in your heart. I'll pray for Adam--like I did for Nate--that it will be a growing time of learning to lean on God like never before, and that God will send him special people to come alongside him there.

    3. I like your T.H.I.N.K. criteria for speaking! I'm considering making a bracelet to remind me to "T.H.I.N.K." before I speak!

    I enjoy reading what you write...a lot of it is relevant to moms and freelance writers, as well as pastors!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession