I Made a Good Choice


Today, I was torn between two important requests for my time. I had to decide whether to attend a dinner for our Welcome Center staff or helping Cathy set up a campsite at Pattison State Park near Lake Superior.

Every September, as a part of our homeschooling, she spends a few days in the woods in "outdoor education". What a woman!

I chose to set up camp for Cathy.

Our Welcome Center staff are the most wonderful people you'll ever meet, and I sure hated to disappoint them.

Nevertheless, spending the day with Cathy was the better choice. She really needed my help -- and the fact that I'd skip the church meeting for her (without her asking) spoke deeply to her heart.

Cathy, Hannah, Wes, Luke and I created some special memories together. We set up camp in the rain, climbed Enger Tower, rang a Japanese peace bell, went to a lighthouse, explored the Maritime Visitor Center, and greeted the St. Clair, a large merchant ship sailing into the Duluth harbor from Lake Superior

It was a memorable day I'll never regret.

If I start feeling guilty later about missing the dinner -- I'll think of this:

When it comes to my last minute on earth, and I'm struggling for my final breath -- I'm fairly sure it won't be the Welcome Center staff surrounding my hospital bed and holding my hand.

Comments

  1. What a great way to play hooky on your "official" dinner!!! I'm with you!

    My wife and I homeschool 3 of our 4 -- only 3 because the 4th is only 18 months old! :-) The outdoor education thing sounds like a real blast. I think we may copy that idea from you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies