My Hero

At Hayward Wesleyan Church, Loring Peterson is considered a hero.

Loring and Flossie had purchased an apple farm, and were just about ready to retire from their many years of pastoral service, when the Macedonian call came from Hayward: “Come over and help us!”

The Hayward Wesleyan Church was in a desperate condition: torn with conflict and shattered trust, the very survival of the small congregation was on the line.

Loring grew up in the Hayward Church, had served a brief stint as pastor in the 1950’s -- and now his services were needed again. Russell Buck, the District Superintendent, called him up and said, “We need you to come to Hayward and straighten out that little church.”

Instead of retiring to the apple farm, Loring re-enlisted for another tour of duty!

It wasn’t easy for Loring as he took the reigns of leadership: There was a big mess to clean up -- but Loring was a good soldier for Jesus – and he stood his ground with courage.

During Loring’s four year tenure, he laid a strong prayer foundation, developed young men into excellent leaders, and in faith, paved the way for the future growth of the church.

When I, a greenhorn from California, moved to Hayward to take my first pastorate, Loring told the people to get behind me and give me their full support. I appreciated that more than words can express. Since Loring prepared the hearts of the people ahead of time, and was such a positive force for faith and evangelism, I didn’t have to fight any major battles as the church began to grow.

Just a month before I moved to Hayward, my father passed away, and somehow, I felt like Loring was sent into my life by God to fill the gap.

I’d only been at the church three months, when Loring called me up on the phone and said he and Flossie were donating $2000 for our building fund.

I said, “We don’t have a building fund.”
He said, “You do now!”
I said, “What if the people don’t want to start a building fund?”
He said, “You can send back the money!”

At the next board meeting, we unanimously voted to start a building fund! There wasn’t one bit of argument. Nobody wanted to give the $2000 back!

Along with the building fund money, Loring and Flossie also donated a truckload of apples. He said, “I want you to sell the apples and put the profits into the building fund!”

The next Sunday, we had a foyer full of apples – and I preached on God’s Apple Farm (Anybody can count the seeds in an apple, but only God can count the apples in a seed!)

Afterwards, people could take apples home for a donation. Those apples went like hotcakes – and at the end of the day, we had another couple thousand for our building fund!

The next week, we had another board meeting, and I brought an apple pie made from Loring and Flossie’s Building Fund Apples. We all agreed that we had never had a pie that tasted so good!

As we made plans to build, Loring said, “You’re building too small! According to your faith it shall be done unto you! Build bigger!”

We built small anyway – and now, looking back on it, I wish we had listened to Loring’s suggestion.

Through the years, I sought Loring’s advice on many occasions. He talked me out of quitting two or three times (usually on Monday mornings.)

Whenever I was in a quandary and didn’t know what to do, I’d pick up the phone and call Loring. Somehow, he helped make sense out of everything. He would say, “Your ship was made to sail in a storm.”

One summer, a few years ago, our church went through some troubled waters. It was a Friday – sermon preparation day – and I just didn’t have any juice left in me. At my very lowest moment in ministry, I went to visit Loring and Flossie in their summer cabin. I will never forget the spiritual and emotional refreshment I received from them that day as they counseled and prayed for me. Also, Loring told me that he would preach for me, so I could get away to pray. His sermon that Sunday was just what I needed to get through that difficult time.

Sometimes, he gave me advice even when I didn’t ask for it.

Even when I didn’t follow his advice, he still gave me his unconditional love and support – and a few months later would follow up with a good hearted, “I told you so!” – because he was almost always right.

Whenever I have the opportunity to talk about the miracle in the northwoods of Wisconsin – and how a struggling little congregation became a thriving, soul-winning, disciple making church – I always say this:

“It all started with a special couple named Loring and Flossie Peterson.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies