The Smaller, Most Important Church


My congregation was surprised when I made the announcement: “I don’t know if you realize it or not, but I pastor another church besides this one.”

“My other church is not nearly as big as this congregation – in fact, it only has seven people on the membership rolls.”

A couple of board members raised their eyebrows and looked at each other in suprise as I continued.

“Although I love Hayward Wesleyan church a lot, I need to let you know I love my other church more – and I if I ever had to choose between the two, it’s a slam dunk decision. I’ll pick them!”

“One unique thing about my smaller church – all the members have the same last name: Wilson! My little, most important church is my family!”

The congregation cheered when I said that. They’re glad to see me cherish my family.

Unfortunately, many church workers are so preoccupied with the demands and pressures of ministry that they forget to take care of their most important church.

People tend to fall into two ditches when it comes to spiritual nurture at home.

1) Overcommitment: These folks love God and come to church every time the doors are open. Family often takes a back seat to ministry obligations and duties – several nights every week. Children and spouses are often left in the dust.

Overcommitted Christians mistakenly confuse the requests of men for the call of God, and the family pays the price.


2) Undercommitment: In reaction to overcommitment, these families have allowed worldliness to creep into their lives. The “Family first” approach easily leads to a lukewarm condition, as everything else takes priority over God. Spiritual life becomes secondary to sports, camping, social engagements, and television.

The Secret to Balance? Put the Spiritual Condition of your family first!


· Love God with all your heart. Focus more on your heart relationship with Him than your duties at church.
· Your family is your #1 ministry responsibility. Key questions: How is my family doing spiritually? What can do to make a difference?
· Declare war on anything that lessens the spiritual passion of your family. (Either overcommitment or undercommitment)

· Say “No” to all requests which jeopardize this mission.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies