A Tale of Two Elizabeths

On Wednesday afternoon, I received a phone call from my friend Elizabeth. She grew up in our church -- and is now a teacher in the Twin Cities.

She shared the heartbreaking story of a family who had lost everything but a few clothes and their car in Hurrican Katrina. They were relocated to Minneapolis, and their daughter is enrolled in Elizabeth's classroom.

After school, Wednesday, their car caught on fire in the school parking lot, and was destroyed completely.

Elizabeth wondered if our church could possibly be of help in this desperate situation. I promised to do whatever I could.

The next morning, I mentioned this to Pastor Ben, who is champion of congregational care at Hayward Wesleyan Church. "Is there anything we can do to help these people get a car?" I wondered.

His eyes widened, and with a big grin, he pulled a piece of paper from his "In Box" and handed it to me. It was the title for a car!

One of our parishoners, Elisabeth, had given it to him just minutes before I asked. "I'd like to help a hurricane victim somehow," she said as she donated it.

The name "Elizabeth" means "My God is Bountiful!"

He certainly proved it, using two Elizabeths (one spelled with a Z, the other with an S) as his angels of grace for a family in a desperate situation!

Comments

  1. Mark:

    Thanks for the reminder that God still works in this most excellent of ways!

    Dean

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies