The Ugly Old Man


Last evening I took my daughter, Hannah, out on a date for her 9th Birthday. She chose dinner at Perkins, and then pie at Norske Nook!

As we were finishing our last fries at Perkins, the waitress came up to our table and said, "Somebody paid your bill."

"Who?", I wondered.

"Well, he said to tell you it was the old ugly man sitting across the dining room."

"Sitting where?" I asked. She furtively nodded in the general direction.

I arose, walked across the restaurant, and found Don, one of my parishoners eating dinner with his wife, Evelyn.

"Thanks for paying my bill, you ugly old man!" I declared.

The shocked expression on his face told me immediately that I had made a big mistake! I'd picked the wrong ugly old man to thank!

Tom, another parishoner, sitting two tables away roared with laughter!

"But the waitress said. . ." I tried to explain -- and the hole just kept getting deeper.

Today, Evelyn came by the church office.

"I really don't think your husband is an ugly old man!"

She just grinned.

Comments

  1. Anonymous9:33 AM

    You don't suppose that Tom planned his little joke of mistaken identity, do you? ;)
    I sometimes picture God having a good laugh at us in the same way....maybe he created the apes just to see if we'd actually believe we've descended from those ugly old men!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings