Youth Ministry

We have an amazing youth ministry at Hayward Wesleyan Church. In a town of 2100, around 200 teens show up for Wednesday night youth meetings.

I recall, years ago, as we were trying to launch our youth group, and had more troubles than teens, a board member pointedly asked me, "If our youth group remains just like it is, what are you going to do when your own kids are teenagers?"

I gulped and admitted I hadn't considered that. We voted that night to revamp the whole program.

Now, more than a dozen years later, my own kids are teenagers -- and they're enthusiastic about the youth group! Jehovah Jirah -- the Lord provides! Change can happen -- provided you have sufficient motivation!

Actually, having several children helps. They bring a "built in" quality control mechanism to the youth department.

John Wesley and I differ on this point. He promoted celebicy for his early Methodist ministers. He sure wasn't thinking about youth ministry when he made that decision.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings