Throw Deep!


Give it your best shot!

The world is filled with half-hearted people who give a half way effort to half inspired causes.

Every now and then, somebody rises up to make a difference -- and they get clobbered. Like lobsters in the pot, we'd much rather pull each other down, than to see someone else climb ahead and succeed. Negativity loves company!

Watching a news channel on television the other night, I was amused by hearing the talking heads squabble. They argued, growled and vented their spleens about all the various ills of society.

I thought, "If they spent as much time doing something about the problems as they've spent complaining about them, we'd all be a lot better off!"

Unfortunately, it is much easier to sit around on the sidelines and find fault than to roll up our sleeves and make a difference.

So often, we punish those who try by clucking our tongues, shaking our heads, and pointing out all the mistakes.

Consider Packer quarterback, Bret Favre, who, in a losing season, is striving to do his best -- giving it 100%, while the beer bellied commentators frown and belittle him. I'd like to see them switch places for about twenty minutes. That would be a site! It would be a relief to Bret, and an education for the commentator!

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be the one criticized than the one doing the criticizing. I'd rather be an eagle who soars than a chicken who squawks and clucks. I'd rather be a musky than a bottom dwelling bullhead.

Life is packed full of wonderful opportunities. They are like raspberries growing on the vine -- all you have to do is go get 'em! Sure, you'll be poked with thorns, bitten by bugs, and smitten with a sore back -- but just think of the end result! Homemade raspberry pie!

Author Jack London said, "I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather than my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."

Someone once asked former NFL quarterback, Kenny Stabler what London's quote meant to him. He replied, "Throw deep!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies