The Blues


Yesterday morning, for some perplexing reason, I was feeling blue -- a heaviness of spirit. Perhaps, it was a mood such as this that caused Charles Spurgeon to pen "The Minister's Fainting Fits."

I sat in our empty sanctuary and prayed and asked God to send me a word of encouragement -- refreshing rain for my drooping spirit.

Returning to my office, I checked my e-mail, and found this beautiful poem written by my friend, Naomi Cochran. It was the answer to my prayer and just what I needed to chase the blues away!

Somewhere in Michigan
There were blueberries, too many,
Where we slept in the woods.
So we made pancakes,
And ate with the whippoorwills.

Along the riverbanks
Blue flags bloom in the current, and
Forget-me-nots bring me
To my knees, wholly,
As blue herons float above.

Once, at Pansy Landing,
A robin' egg blue enamel pan
Was lifted from a life
Long gone: now mine, full
Of pansies, zinnias, summer.

There was a blue blanket
Laid soft in my arms, my new son
Safe and perfect, alive,
Blue eyed...my world now
Forever changed; my life, his.

Eight eagles circled high
In a blue, blue sky, and red leaves
Waved from below, not yet
Free to go. I breathed
Blue, listened blue, became blue.


"The heavens declare the glory of God. . ." Psalm 19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings