Northwoods Welcome Mat

Don beamed as he entered my office yesterday. "Pastor, I have some fresh venison for you. Where would you like me to put it?"

"How about out front of the church?" I answered, "There's plenty of snow to keep it cold. I'm taking my son out to lunch today. We can put it in our car and bring it home from there."

"O.K.," said Don, "Could you help me get it out of my truck?"

It was only when I had put on my coat and went out to Don's truck, that I realized this fresh venison was REALLY fresh! It still had it's hide on!

"Yep," said Don, "All you'll have to do is process it and you'll have some tasty meat."

I thanked Don and we hefted the dead deer out of his trunk to the sidewalk in front of the church.

Now, what would I do? I'm not an accomplished deer butcher. I only tried it once before, and that was a disaster!

This was when I made a foolish mistake. I decided to leave it there and deal with it after lunch. (note to self: procrastination always leads to trouble!)

So, the deer carcas laid there, like a welcome mat in front of the main entrance of our church -- with glazed eyes wide open and tongue hanging out.

I forgot that the area homeschoolers would be holding a meeting there in just a few minutes.

The homeschool children will hopefully survive the trauma. And now, I have to be extra nice to Linda, our office manager, who fielded a barrage of hysterical complaints from their mothers.

"What in the world were you thinking?" she inquired when I returned from lunch.

"I wasn't." I replied sheepishly.

Brett, a fine young man from our congregation, rescued me from my plight, by volunteering to take it home with him to process. He said he enjoyed doing stuff like that -- and I think he was telling me the truth.

So -- the Wilson's will have venison this winter, and the homeschool children will have nightmares.

Only in the Northwoods!

Comments

  1. Anonymous1:24 PM

    Funny!! But that's really gross. Kudos to your office manager

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:01 PM

    The question is, not what were YOU thinking, but what was Don thinking?? We need to be careful how we package our gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies