Wrestling Jacob


Come, O Thou Traveler unknown. Whom still I hold, but cannot see;
Ny company before is gone, And I am left alone with Thee;
With Thee all night I mean to stay, And wrestle till the break of day.

I need not tell Thee who I am. My sin and misery declare;
Thyself hast called me by my name -- Look on Thy hands, and read it there;
But who, I ask Thee, who are Thou? Tell me Thy Name, and tell me now.

Yield to me now, for I am weak. But confidence in self despair;
Speak to my heart, in blessing speak; Be conquered by my instant prayer;
Speak, or Thou never hence shalt move, And tell me if Thy Name be Love.

Tis Love! Tis Love! Thou diedst for me! I hear Thy whisper in my heart;
The morning breaks, the shadows flee; Pure, universal love Thou art;
To me, to all Thy mercies move; Thy nature and Thy Name is Love.

-- Charles Wesley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings