The Bub Club


I will not be posting from Monday to Thursday this week, because I will be out of town (Phoenix) for the Large Wesleyan Church Pastors' Roundtable.

This annual gathering is for senior pastors of Wesleyan Congregations of 500 or more people.

I recall a few years ago, when our church passed 500 and I was invited to attend. I showed the invitation letter to my sons, Adam and Ryan.

"Look boys!" I beamed, "I'm included in the Wesleyan Roundtable now! That means I get to go to Atlanta, meet Andy Stanley and have dinner with John Maxwell!"

I thought they'd be more impressed.

They just rolled their eyes, and said (with feigned enthusiasm) "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Yippee. Wow."

Then, after conspiring for a moment together, they sang a special rendition from Aladdin's soundtrack:

"Congratulations, Bub, You've joined the Club!"

Somehow, that put it all into perspective: a humbling effect. It seemed rather silly for me, a grown man, and a minister of the Gospel, to be so excited about being part of the "Bub Club."

Nevertheless, I did go meet Andy Stanley and had dinner with John Maxwell. I discovered that the senior pastors of the larger Wesleyan Churches are wonderful men of God, full of passion to reach the lost, and some of the most inspiring people I've ever met. They are compassionate and caring. They've helped me navigate the difficult maze of effective church leadership (The bigger a church gets, the more complex and hard to lead.) I treasure their prayers, insights, and advice.

In years since, because of the group, I've had the opportunity to visit some of the greatest churches in the nation, and to meet their amazing leaders. It's something I make every effort to attend each year, and I'm richer for it.

But, heading out the door, after kissing Cathy and the kids, I always say, "Well, see ya later! I'm goin' to the Bub Club!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings