Joined in Affliction

At the end of the 11:00 service Sunday, I had just preached about the walls of Jericho, and was about to pronounce the benediction, when Cathy waved from the front row.

"Wait a minute! May I say something?"

I've learned in 23 years of marriage, that when Cathy wants to say something, I'd better listen.

She came to the front, and shared her concern about a young lady in our congregation who has been experiencing a very difficult affliction. It's a puzzling illness, brought on by the bite of a tick, that has disabled her.

"I sense that God is calling us to fast and pray for Jess." she said. "For the next three days, I invite anyone who wants to join me to devote this time for prayer and fasting. Then, on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m., come join me for prayer at the church."

Fasting?? Three days?? I gulped. "Oh boy, what am I going to do with this?" I thought.

Then the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart, "Join her!"

Once, several years ago, I fasted for three days like that -- and it just about killed me.

This time, however, is different. We're on the third day -- and I've sensed a deepening in my own spirit. This morning, I arose extra early, and found that my spiritual focus was razor sharp. (Usually, my mind wanders all over the place when I'm trying to pray and meditate on the Word.)

Somehow, the absence of food has heightened my spiritual awareness and deepened my hunger for Him. "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness," Jesus said, "for they shall be filled."

Right now, I'm not even hungry -- except in my soul -- to be full of the Holy Spirit, to be overflowing with His Presence -- to be abounding in His Love.

In my devotions this morning, I ran across a passage in Judges, when the Israelites were attacking. For two days, they made no progress, and were soundly defeated. Then, they devoted themselves to the Lord in fasting and prayer. On the third day, they gained the victory!

Oh, Lord -- may the victory be won THIS day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies