If You Go, They Will Come

The Hungarian Luddite, Bruce Gerencser, recently shared his frustrations with trying to find a church home. It seems like finding a good church in northwestern Ohio wouldn't be so difficult -- but the results of his church-shopping effots were less than encouraging.

Out of 105 church visits, less than 10% made any type of follow-up attempt whatsoever, and only five made a personal visit.

Following up on newcomers has become more complicated for us at Hayward Wesleyan Church, due to the growth and increased visitors of the church.

Still, we make every effort to contact our local guests at least a couple of times.

When I was just starting out, and the church was smaller, I made a personal follow-up call on every visitor to the church. I taped a note onto my desk, which read:

"If You Go, They Will Come."

In other words, if I go where they are during the week -- they will come and see me on Sunday mornings!

I have a team of staff members and small group leaders, and hospitality volunteers who do most of that work now. Heath Davis, the pastor in charge of Spiritual Formation, does an outstanding job welcoming our guests.

The principle remains the same however -- people want to be wanted and love to be loved!

Comments

  1. One point that I think is backed up by some research (but don't quote me on the who or when) is that visitors return when the person who calls on them first is a member of the church rather than the pastor. This shows the visitor that the church does care about them. The second visit should, of course come from the pastor, as a follow-up to the original visit and the visitation by the congregation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession