A Billion Words


It's official. The "one billionth word" was just added to the English language.

A billion words -- and yet, there are times when my mind goes blank, and I can't come up even one that seems appropriate.

On the other hand, I declare, there are some folks can get through the whole billion in twenty minutes over the telephone!!

I've been on the receiving end of that!

On several occasions, I've found myself murmering mindlessly:
"Uh Huh."
"You don't say."
"Is that right."
Mmmmhmmmm."
"I believe so."
"I don't know."

You do have to be careful in selecting these responses though. My Mother found that out the hard way. In one of those long, taxing conversations, she said, "Mmmhhhh", and then "I don't know."

The other person stopped abruptly. "You don't know?????"

Mom said, "What was that you asked me again?"

"I asked how many children you have!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings