I'm not really a party animal. In fact, usually, if I'm invited to a party of some sort or another, I try to find a good reason to graciously decline the invitation. It's not that I don't enjoy people, mind you. In general, they're fantastic. Like Will Rogers said, "I've never met a man I didn't like." I am thankful for all my good friends. Yep, I like people a lot -- but I dislike going to parties. (Although, if I get stuck and actually end up attending one, it usually turns out better than I imagined. In the car, on the way home, I've heard Cathy say more than once, "There now, that wasn't so bad, was it?" I reply with a mumble and grunt, because I know she's right. Still -- I'm not an eager party-goer, and seriously doubt if I will ever become one. Do you know what kind of party is the most common? Birthday? Graduation? Aniversary? You'll never guess! The party held most frequently is. . . The Pity Party! As a minis...
It is most likely because these 4 had a strong mentor in the church growing up. At least the ones I have talked with that stay close to the Lord in their young adults lives, have had at least one person from the church truly invest in them, especially in their early teen years. Also we need, myself included, to learn how to better communicate love to our young people. Many are receiving love, but it isn't connecting the way it should. This is difficult to watch as a youth pastor. I would recommend the book "The Five Love Languages of Teenagers”, by Gary Chapman. It applies to parents, youthworkers, etc. And it has helped me to see more clearly how Jesus "communicated love", and how we can learn and apply these principles. In parting, we do need to recognize why we are losing the 6 out of 10, but focus and build on how and why we are keeping, and connecting Christ with the 4 that stay close in their walk!
ReplyDelete