Jesus was Tribal


Going out of town for a couple of days to attend my first Wesleyan Native American Board Meeting in Rapid City, South Dakota.

So -- I won't be posting for the rest of the week.

Native American Ministry is really difficult, thanks to the mistakes of our white forefathers.

I believe our Native American friends would love Jesus a lot, if they saw him as he is, rather than dressed up as a clench-fisted redneck.

The historical Jesus was a lot more Native than White European:
1. He was tribal.
2. He told stories.
3. He lived close nature.
4. He understood fishing and harvesting.
5. He was from an oppressed people group.

But thus far, the outreach efforts have failed miserably, because we are judged by what we do rather than what we say.

It's easier to make a toxic mess than to clean one up.

In all relationships, you make a toxic mess by dishonesty, manipulation and demanding control.
You clean up a toxic mess by understanding, trust, perseverance, and love.

Comments

  1. Hi Mark.

    I found your blog today, but wish I would have found it a few days earlier because I am a Wesleyan pastor in Rapid City. It would have been fun to try to hook up for lunch while you were here in town!

    Hope you had a great trip.

    Brandon Bruce
    Lead Pastor
    Fountain Springs Community Church
    http://www.fountainspringschurch.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:33 PM

    Mark,I loved your description of Jesus.The more I know Him,the more I want to be identified with Him. What a precious,loving,caring friend He is to all.Our prayers are with you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:33 PM

    Hello Mark,

    I enjoyed your description because I think that this Jesus you describe needs to be taught more to our youth. I think they would respond well to His "Tribalness". His love of nature, stories, fishing and harvesting, and coming from an oppressed group, are traits I believe our youth would, and desperately need to relate to. So many times they only identify Jesus as a Judge pointing His finger at them telling them what they have done wrong. I think this isolated perception of Jesus leads the kids to "the toxic mess" you mentioned. The clean up can begin as we connect this "Tribal Jesus" to our teens daily lives.

    Blessings, Charles Bell
    (Church Leadership Class)
    Stroudsburg, PA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened on to this site searching for Native American images. I fully agree with your comment on Jesus being tribal. In my studies on Natives I have come to understand Christ better! I am praying for an opportunity to work in ministry to the Sioux.
    Darcy
    Chappell, NE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I happened on this site searching for Native American images. I read your note and the responses. I fully agree. Jesus was very much tribal. And as I study the Natives I have come to understand Christ better! I would very much like to be able to work with a ministry to Native American - especially the Sioux.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings