Night Visitors


Usually, when I am awakened at 2:30 in the morning, it's because someone's drunk or dying. This morning, however, it was my wife, Cathy, alive and sober, waking me.

Gently, she nudged me out of noisy slumber, and whispered, "Look out the window!"

A black bear was digging in our garbage can! Then, a second, larger bear, ambled into the yard and joined the buffet line.

Cathy startled them with a firm, "Go away!" (I'm sure glad she wasn't talking to me.)

Bears can sure run fast!

I dressed and went outside to pick up the trash and bring it in the garage. I also noted that they had demolished our birdfeeder. . . again.

Birdfeeding is a little hobby of mine -- and it's hard for me to give it up. I love watching my feathered friends early in the morning.

However, after having lost eight birdfeeders to hungry bears, I'm beginning to consider a new diversion: bear baiting!

Comments

  1. Anonymous2:19 PM

    Mark (and Cathy):

    I've seen Cathy when she gets stern and though I might rival a bear in size, I would run too!

    Gary M.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession