Cussing Preachers


The recent trend of preachers spicing their sermons with expletitives bothers me.

Just a few years ago, the only "cussing preachers" were Gene Scott, and a few backwoodsy independant baptists who didn't have any accountability.

Now, the cussing preachers are keynoting at Pastors' Conferences.

I realize that addressing this issue will open me up to charges of legalism. I also understand that "cussing preachers" aren't any worse than "gossipy preachers" or "doubting preachers." Then of course, someone might ask, "And what about the gluttons?"

Nevertheless, the Bible says that "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." Whatever is coming out of a person is from the heart.

If somebody goes around saying "BLANKETY BLANK!!"
It makes one wonder, are they full of "blankety blank?"

My concern is that the rising generation of cussing preachers will find an audience of young ministers who, thinking it's cool, will pick up the habit themselves.

The deacons will ask, "Where did you pick up that filthy language?"
The young minister will reply, "I got it from the Preachers' Conference!"
------------

“Now the reason of common swearing is this; it is because men have not so much as the intention to please God in all their actions. For let a man but have so much piety as to intend to please God in all the actions of his life, as the happiest and best thing in the world, and then he will never swear more. It will be as impossible for him to swear, whilst he feels this intention within himself, as it is impossible for a man that intends to please his prince, to go up and abuse him to his face.”

-- William Law, (1729)

Comments

  1. Anonymous7:55 AM

    This article really bothered me. It is so difficult to watch/hear preachers do/say what we caution our kids not to do/say. Sadly, it is probably a fad/in thing to do. No accountability is the reason for not only cussing but other wrongs by preachers/pastors. But...these preachers, will be held accountable by God. Thank you for holding them accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:33 AM

    You've got me all curious now. I'm at a lot of conferences and I've never heard a preacher cuss. Who are you referring to and when?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:44 PM

    I suppose there are different definitons of cussing -- mine is any word that my kids would get into trouble for saying.

    That said -- I've heard at least four pastors use those words at different conferences over the years.

    My post was sparked by an article I read from a newspaper reporter in the northwest -- who attended a pastors' gathering, and was astonished when the speaker said bad words.

    I also read a book recently, where the author spoke fondly of his pastor friend who cusses.

    My concern is that young guys in college and seminary now are going to read this stuff -- hear these guys -- and decide it's really cool to salt their sermons with expletives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings