Grow Like a Tree, Not a Fire

We must see the error of our effort to live by fire, by burning the world in order to live in it. There is no plainer symptom of our insanity than our avowed intention to maintain by fire an unlimited economic growth.

Fire destroys what nourishes it and so in fact imposes severe limits on any growth associated with it. The true source and analogue of our economic life is the economy of plants, which never exceeds natural limits, never grows beyond the power of its place to support it, produces no waste, and enriches and preserves itself by death and decay.

We must learn to grow like a tree, not like a fire.
--Wendell Berry

(Thanks to Heath Davis for this thought provoking quote from the Kentucky poet.)

How would this apply to spiritual growth and church leadership?

Comments

  1. Hi Mark!!!! I had HEARD you had a blog, but hadn't found a link to you until this morning - - - on Marcia Woodard's blog.

    I'm going to add "you" to my favorites and I'll be back often.

    Hey - - - Doug Drown linked me to the Hayward Register where I saw that the Hurricanes made it to the playoffs in Football - - - - - - haven't been able to find how they did past that. If you ever glance over my blog, you will see I am a football fan, and it all started right there as a child with my dad taking me across the street to the Hayward HS football games. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies