Community Thanksgiving Service


I just witnessed a miracle at the Community Thanksgiving Service, held at First Congregational Church on Main Street -- five preachers spoke, and the service was finished within an hour.

I think that just might be a world record.

As the offeratory began, I reached for my wallet, and realized that I had accidently left it in my car. "Uh oh," I whispered furtively to Tim Warner, my full gospel preacher buddy who happened to be sitting next to me, "I didn't bring my wallet!"

Graciously, he opened his billfold, grinned, and handed me a buck. That was really generous, as he only had two dollars to begin with.

So, the plate passed by and we both put in our George Washingtons.

Tim whispered, "We're lucky. Church is the only place left where you can still get in for a buck!"

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:58 AM

    Hey Mark: That's because the price has already been paid: God Bless to you and Kathy. May you have a great Thanksgiving: Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:48 PM

    Happy Thanksgiving from a Canadian sister. Love the comment about the buck. Listened to Charles Stanley today on "Give thanks in everything" sermon. Great message going to get a hard copy. Came across a message about being a "thankaholic", decided that's what I want to be.(God willing). Thanksgiving for so many always comes with mixed emotions. Saw a clip off "sermonspice" of a mother and daughter praying at bedtime and the mother said "Father I give you thanks this year for everything you have been to us even though it has been a very hard year." The camera then pans to a picture of her husband in a Military service uniform. Did he die or is he just far away? Mark, I know that you and Kathy and your family have been through alot with Kathy's sickness but I know that you are today and everyday giving thanks to our Father. I pray this holiday season and always we will grow stronger in our faith of "giving thanks in everything".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:15 PM

    Our community service was on Sunday. Sorry, don't have any funny stories about the offering and I don't think we were done in an hour, but we had food first, so I had to make sure I didn't lull anyone to sleep during my message. I think everyone was awake when I finished:). I really like the Christian fellowship that happens at these services.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies