Sit Down, If You Need Prayer

Yesterday, during my sermon, I had the entire congregation stand.

Then, I said, "If you're carrying a heavy burden and need the prayers of our church family, I want you to sit down right now."

The response was absolutely overwhelming.

In our first service, everybody sat down! A large percentage of our second and third services sat down also. In all, I'd say it was more than 75% of our church family.

I had no idea how many of my people are walking around with troubled hearts, carrying a heavy load. That little exercise sure opened my eyes.

During the first service, I just sat there and blubbered.

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:41 PM

    addendum -- I was the first person to sit down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:28 PM

    Well, I think I was a very close second! To quote Pastor Ben: "I'm smart enough to know when I need to sit down when someone tells me to sit down." It was a very powerful and emotional worship service. A strong reminder to keep using our "Jesus-vision" when looking at others. God bless you, Mark! Please tell Cathy that Gary & I are both prayin'!
    Your friend,
    Sue B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:56 PM

    Mark: that is a great idea. I will share it with Pastor Tim Jones and see if he is receptive to trying it on Sunday. I may even do it in my Sunday School Class at prayer time.

    Your friend in Christ,

    Rich Nedrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:21 PM

    Mark; When I got home from church I was telling Jim about the sermon and the service and Sam said that your comments were (if you are weary and have a burden you should sit down so we can all pray for you) and he said I was just tired so I sat down right away. Maybe more people were just tired also! You are in our thoughts and prayers
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:45 PM

    Diane,
    Sam and I were both bushed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:13 AM

    Being human, we can get so caught up in our burdens, that we fail to realize just how heavy others' burdens can be.

    'I complained that I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet'

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies