Inspiring Morning

The worship service this morning was inspiring. We sang two great hymns, as well as my favorite chorus.

After putting all our plans into place, we discovered Friday that we were starting "Advent" a week too early! Instead of scrapping the plans, however, we decided to go ahead and just start Advent before the rest of the world (after all, the stores have all had Christmas stuff out since October!)

We began the service with a choral reading, moving into "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" (It's 12th Century Latin lyrics, translated into English, and combined with a 15th Century Fransiscan melody -- with some substantial "jazzing up."

After that, we lit the first Advent Candle: Hope. Kathy Baker shared an inspiring story of how God gave her hope in the dark valley. "God took the I out of bitter," she testified, "and made me better!" It has been beautiful to watch her grow spiritually in the midst of very difficult circumstances.

We paused for a moment to welcome infant, Benjamin Munich who came into this world on Monday, and to remember Earl Richards, who passed away the same day.

Then, we sang a little spiced up Beethoven (Joyful, Joyful), followed by "Days of Elijah" (Ever exegeted that song?), "How Deep the Father's Love for Us", and "In Christ Alone" (That one rivals Amazing Grace as my favorite song.)

Pastor Heath preached a powerful message using the inspiring video of the Hoyt's, as a launching pad for Romans 8 -- The Goodness and the Groanings of the Father."

At the conclusion of the 11:00 service, I led Dennis and Linda Waystedt in a renewal of their wedding vows. 35 years ago, they were married in a courthouse with a judge. Since giving their lives to Jesus, they've been longing for a "church wedding."

Dennis masterfully orchestrated the whole event. Friends brought flowers and cameras.

After I called them forward, before the puzzled congregation, the nervous groom told his bride how much he loves her, and asked if she would marry him again.

Fortunately, she agreed -- "You bet your sweet bippies!" was the actual wording -- which, I believe means "yes!"

Boy, was Linda ever surprised!

After a passionate kiss, they marched out to a cheering congregation, and the tune of the "Wedding March."

Linda told me later that this one was a hundred times more meaningful than the first time around.

Comments

  1. Anonymous2:45 PM

    I now know how hard it is to say what you want to say in such a short time. In order to tell my "hope" story I really had to shorten it. I had to skip many of the "trials" and too too many of the blessings. Thank you for the opportunity to share hope with others. I pray that someone was blessed through me. Pastor Heath and my sister have encouraged me to start to put my thoughts on paper. Thanks again!!!
    Kathy Baker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:46 AM

    Impossible for advent to begin too early! It was the perfect mistake. And besides, with the kids Christmas program this weekend,(and the lack of snow), how better to get people in the Christmas spirit?
    Sunday morning was AWESOME. Kathy Baker's story was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is this? No snow in the northwoods. Today I put up our Christmas lights outside in a tee-shirt and jeans. It's 60 degrees and sunny in Martinsville. The outside of our house now looks like Christmas except for the lack of snow which last year we only had 4 inches total.

    Sounds like you had some wonderful services the past few Sundays. We start Advent this Sunday. I'm looking forward to this season of preparation and then on Sunday night we have a Hanging of the Greens service while we decorate the church.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings