Micajah McPherson

During our Wesleyan History field trip last week, we stopped by the grave of Micajah McPherson to pay our respects.

Micajah was the leading layman at Freedom's Hill Church -- the first Wesleyan congregation in the south. Many times, he placed his life in peril, courageously standing against the evils of slavery.

One day, during the Civil War, a mob of angry men came to Micajah's house while he was doing farm chores, and dragged him to the woods.

Standing him on a rock, they placed a noose around Micajah's neck, and hung him from a leaning dogwood tree.

A while later, they needed their rope to hang another abolitionist -- and so they came back and cut him down.
Amazingly, Micajah was not dead -- only unconscious. A few hours later, he revived, and crawled home -- much to the surprised joy of his loved ones.

Micajah lived another 30-plus years, before his death in 1896

Comments

  1. Mark,
    Thanks for linking the article of this man of God.

    As a native and current resident of Chatham County, NC, it is so amazing how this man followed the heart of God, even after people attempted to take his life.

    Sadly, racism is still prevalent is this area. For many of my growing up years - Chatham County was known as a KKK hotbed. There were regular KKK rallys within 5 miles of my parent's house.

    The neat thing is that God changes peoples hearts. Although I admit that I had racist actions growing up - God has delivered me from that sin! Our Church has opened the doors to be ethnically diverse. Although we've got much improvement to make - God is slowly, but surely changing us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was blessed to be able to "remember" our roots. Do I dare say that I am not much into history? But, history came to life in this class and I came home with an appreciation for history like never before. I also came home with a fresh energy and fire to live and die for my faith.

    We don't face persecution in the United States, fearing if we say the name of Jesus that we will be tortured or killed. How many of us would "keep the faith" if we were?

    I pray that God's fresh fire would sweep over us so strongly that it affects every part of us. May we have faith as strong as these heroes of the faith and those we read of in our Bibles (Hebrews 11).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:16 AM

    Way to go Mark. You took what could have been a very boring class and made it come alive. I wish I could have taken it with you also. Steve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings