Pastors Out of Touch

"In general, pastors are less informed about the culture in which they live than are the people in their churches."

At least -- that's what the researchers at LifeWay Christian Resources concluded.

In their survey, pastors knew less about politics, television, movies, the internet, clothing and fashion, video games, and celebrities, than the average pew potato.

Now, I think pastors ought to do their best to understand their culture -- but there's a much bigger issue at stake.

How deeply do they know Jesus?
Do they understand the heart of God in the face of human suffering?

Imagine someone going up to Mother Theresa in heaven and saying, "You know, your ministry would have been much more effective if you had known the latest fashion trends and learned to play video games."

Comments

  1. There's no doubt about it - I'm out of touch with a lot of things my youth are watching/listening to. They occasionally make fun of me because I know practically nothing about the lastest songs, latest movies, the hippest video, etc. In the end - I pray that how I represent the love of Jesus will have more affect on the teens than wearing the right bling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:43 PM

    Here in lies my struggle. Where I used to have a desire to watch, listen to what we would call "worldly" stuff I no longer have that desire. The Lord has taken it away. His love contrains me. I know people in ministry tell me to use movie clips, music and such to reach this generation but I have no desire and for some reason am often repulsed by what I watch. This has been happening for quite awhile. I have seen the use of movie clips and such to bring out Biblical truth and I can see th significance of it but I can't bring myself to watch the whole movie to get a clip here and a clip there. In lies my struggle. If I do watch I find myself praying for the producers, and the actors so that they maybe touched by the Lord's light. Maybe I need to purchase some books that feature only the clips and their significance. I know that Doug Fields has about 4 books on this subject. I will admit I am out of touch but I would rather be in touch with our Lord and what pleases Him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings