I'm not really a party animal. In fact, usually, if I'm invited to a party of some sort or another, I try to find a good reason to graciously decline the invitation. It's not that I don't enjoy people, mind you. In general, they're fantastic. Like Will Rogers said, "I've never met a man I didn't like." I am thankful for all my good friends. Yep, I like people a lot -- but I dislike going to parties. (Although, if I get stuck and actually end up attending one, it usually turns out better than I imagined. In the car, on the way home, I've heard Cathy say more than once, "There now, that wasn't so bad, was it?" I reply with a mumble and grunt, because I know she's right. Still -- I'm not an eager party-goer, and seriously doubt if I will ever become one. Do you know what kind of party is the most common? Birthday? Graduation? Aniversary? You'll never guess! The party held most frequently is. . . The Pity Party! As a minis...
I believe this quote to be very accurate. I see it everyday, everywhere, and the church is not exempt. It seems that everyone focuses solely on themselves and what is happening with them. Many people can't even be concerned with their own families, they are too busy with their careers, their wants, their needs. As far as their concern for God and what He wants and needs from them... it isn't a thought in their heads. My fear is that, in trying not to offend the world and trying not to appear as being too "different", we have lost our focus, our "salt". We are the frogs in the pot and the temperature is being increased beneath us and before we know it, we will be boiling away wondering what happened and where did it all go wrong. I believe that we, as pastors and teachers need to return to an emphasis on Holiness. We are to be different, set apart, sanctified and we can not reach that level of discipleship without placing God's desires before our own.
ReplyDeleteI forgot to tell you on the prior message that I attended your Evangelism FLAME class in Sophia NC. That class honestly changed my view of evangelism forever. God has been really working with me in this area since that class.
ReplyDelete