Big Godder or Little Godder?

A couple of days ago, at the Wisconsin Wesleyan Ministers and Mates Retreat, our General Superintendent, Dr. Jerry Pence told the following story:

Dr. Robert Wilson, was a great professor of preaching at Princeton Theological Seminary many years ago. One of Dr. Wilson's students had been invited back to preach in the seminary Chapel twelve years after his graduation from the school.

So, Dr. Wilson came in and sat down near the front of the chapel to hear his former student preach. At the close of the meeting the old professor came up to his former student, extended his hand, and said, "If you come back again, I will not come to hear you preach. I only come once to hear my students. But I'm glad that you're a big-godder. You see, when my boys come back, I always come to see if they are big-godders or little-godders, and then I know what their ministry will be like."

His former student asked him to explain, and so he replied: "Well, some men have a little god, and they are always in trouble with him. He can't do any miracles. He can't take care of the inspiration and transmission of the Scripture to us. He doesn't intervene on behalf of his people. They have a little god and I call them little-godders.

Then there are those who have a great God. He speaks and it is done. He commands and it stands fast. He knows how to show Himself strong on behalf of them that fear him. You, young man are a big-godder, and God will bless your ministry."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession