I'm not really a party animal. In fact, usually, if I'm invited to a party of some sort or another, I try to find a good reason to graciously decline the invitation. It's not that I don't enjoy people, mind you. In general, they're fantastic. Like Will Rogers said, "I've never met a man I didn't like." I am thankful for all my good friends. Yep, I like people a lot -- but I dislike going to parties. (Although, if I get stuck and actually end up attending one, it usually turns out better than I imagined. In the car, on the way home, I've heard Cathy say more than once, "There now, that wasn't so bad, was it?" I reply with a mumble and grunt, because I know she's right. Still -- I'm not an eager party-goer, and seriously doubt if I will ever become one. Do you know what kind of party is the most common? Birthday? Graduation? Aniversary? You'll never guess! The party held most frequently is. . . The Pity Party! As a minis...
Small aging congregations happen because...the Pastor and leaders like things just as they are. They are in total control, not God. They are not concerned with reaching the unchurched in their community. They only inreach among their own small group. Members either agree with leadership or are too afraid to say anything. A thriving, growing church is not trying to be a 'copy-cat' version of another large church, its congregation is following God's vision just for them. They have to be willing to go God's Way. A thriving church does not have a lazy leader. O'Dell started by doing most every job himself at first - not saying 'that is not my job'. The leader's attitude permeates the entire church.
ReplyDelete