27 Below

At 6:47 a.m. on Sunday morning, it's a bone chilling 27 below zero. With wind chill, I'm surmising it's 35-40 below zero. (That's fahrenheit for readers outside the USA!)

You know it's cold when your nostrils freeze closed every time you breathe in.
You know it's cold when you have to scrape the inside of your windshield.
You know it's cold when the steering wheel won't go the direction you're trying to take it.

After a long, grumpy, complaint, my old car started up! That was a miracle, really.

The two stray cats we "semi-adopted" are lounging in our garage with a hearter.

One of our breakfast cooks called this morning, and said that he had lost electricity at his home, so he's not coming in. Fortunately, he has a fire place.

Our snow blower was attached to a battery charger, but the oil froze -- and so, our custodian, Ryan was clearing the sidewalks by hand this morning. He recruited his wife, Mary Ann, to help him. I think he owes her one BIG TIME!

I'm guessing that most of the churches in town are going to close -- but we'll stay open. I'm fairly certain not many people will show up for church today.

Comments

  1. Anonymous9:38 AM

    Mark, your older brother Sam can top that. He worked in a room at Nestle's that was 40 degrees below zero. He sometimes had to do maintenance in a fan room that was 90 degrees below zero. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:03 PM

    Wow! I remember those days in Upstate New York, which wasn't that long ago. For at least three years while we were there it was not unusual in January to wake up to -35 to -20 every day for a month. I remember thinking that 20 above zero was a heat wave. We are getting some of that "cold" air here tomorrow. Our low will be about 7 above, but our bodies have gotten used to our warm - to this point - winter. I agree with Linda, stay warm! It was an interesting morning to say the least here in Martinsville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:03 PM

    Sorry, the above post was mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:58 PM

    attendance was better than I had anticipated. We had well over 500 folks who rose defiantly against the mercury challenge and showed up for church!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:49 PM

    Considering the weather (30 below) and the fact that it was Superbowl Sunday, I was very suprised to see about half our congregation show up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive!

    Down here, if there is a small chance of ice of snow, most of the congregation stays at home.

    It is 14 degrees this morning, and I thought I was gona end up being an ice cube. Y'all are tough! Wish me luck when I go jogging at lunch!
    Jerry in NC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession