The Mission Field

Back when I was in seminary, I attended a church that had a sign above the exit: "You Are Now Entering the Mission Field"

Unfortunately, the parishoners didn't take that sign to heart. The once-mighty congregation dwindled down to a small group with great memories of the good old days, and sadly, a few years ago, they closed up their doors.

What happened to the mission field?

Every March, we have a Missions Conference here at Hayward Wesleyan Church. We bring in missionaries from all over the world, hear inspiring stories from other lands, and raise a lot of money to support these worthy causes.

It's exciting to think that we can literally touch the world from Hayward! We can really make a difference for someone in Africa, Latin America, Eastern Europe, or in some Islamic stronghold.

When I give my dollars to misisons -- I am going! I've invested a part of my life for those dollars. So, in a way, when I send my money, I am sending ME!

Yet, we must never forget that our mission focus starts at home! How tragic it is when people travel across the seas bringing the Gospel, but are unwilling to go across the street to love their neighbors.

The Mission field starts at home, and then grows from there.

Jerusalem! Judea! Samaria! The ends of the earth! (Acts 1:8)

Next time you're walking out of church, remind yourself:
"I am Now Entering the Mission Field."

Comments

  1. Just "signing in" to tell you I always read your blog even when I don't comment. Thanks for faithfully writing--it helps me. -Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:58 AM

    Thanks for the comment Keith. I have considered you a wise mentor and dear friend since the early years when Cathy and I were first married and lived in the little cottage next door to your house.

    You believed in me. You helped me get my first position as a youth pastor (They said, "If Keith Drury says this guy's good, then we want him!" We sure pulled one over on them!!)

    I was in one of the first courses you taught on youth ministry -- and then, in the cadre of youth pastors who really listened when you told us that we could make a difference.

    Thanks for your investment in my life down through the years. There's certainly a lot of "Keith Drury" in me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:12 AM

    The mission field starts at home, and then grows from there. How very true.

    I feel it everyday as I leave home to go to work. Sam and I often talk about my work environment (all ages, all cultures, all faiths). And I do not even have to go overseas. God send them to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:42 PM

    As in the Bible when the leaders of the Chruch did not do what was right, the Lord did not bless them or their work.

    If a Chruch gets to that point it is better to have them close the doors than to trun people away from God with their unchristian attitudes.

    I have seen cases where the leaders of a Chruch are only in it for their own gain and have hardened their hearts. Only bad can come of this.

    It's sad to say
    Some Chruches do more harm than good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:12 AM

    Walter is correct. Some churches need to close their doors. Churches do touch the world, regardless of location. Churches make a big difference right where they are. The question each of us need to ask is, "What kind of difference am I making? What kind of difference is my church making? Are we a stepping stone or a stumbling block?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:48 PM

    Actually, my church has that phrase above our exit as well. And this year has been our busiest in missions in the history of the church (I think). So don't worry, the practice hasn't died yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:38 PM

    I agree with Walter. Sadly, some churches do more harm than good. Pastors and leaders forget God is the head of the church.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies