I'm not really a party animal. In fact, usually, if I'm invited to a party of some sort or another, I try to find a good reason to graciously decline the invitation. It's not that I don't enjoy people, mind you. In general, they're fantastic. Like Will Rogers said, "I've never met a man I didn't like." I am thankful for all my good friends. Yep, I like people a lot -- but I dislike going to parties. (Although, if I get stuck and actually end up attending one, it usually turns out better than I imagined. In the car, on the way home, I've heard Cathy say more than once, "There now, that wasn't so bad, was it?" I reply with a mumble and grunt, because I know she's right. Still -- I'm not an eager party-goer, and seriously doubt if I will ever become one. Do you know what kind of party is the most common? Birthday? Graduation? Aniversary? You'll never guess! The party held most frequently is. . . The Pity Party! As a minis...
If that were true, I think I would still be a boat carpenter instead of a pastor.
ReplyDeleteHa!! Good point, Steve. God called you from boat carpentry to ministry. Of course, you need to follow His voice.
ReplyDeleteWatchman Nee said that whatever your former occupation was -- there is a parallel in the ministry.
For instance, Peter and Andrew were fishermen -- and Jesus called them to fish for me.
John was mending his nets -- later, he mended churches.
Paul was a tent maker -- and he became a chuch planter.
So, how does being a boat carpenter inform your ministry?
I wish I knew Mark. I've put away a lot of my tools and am selling my boat. I love boat carpentry but I love what I am doing now even more. All things have their time and purpose. One thing I know, He has shown me that I can walk on water instead of just floating on it. Trouble is, I sink every once in a while. Anyone want to buy a boat?
ReplyDelete