Dad and Brian McLaren

My dad, Andy Wilson, was an old fashioned holiness preacher. Things were pretty much black and white for him. He preached a lot on sin, and was DEFINITELY against it! When he preached on hell, you could feel the fire and smell the smoke. When he preached on heaven, we all got misty eyed, and wanted to go right then. He loved Jesus with all his heart, and he loved everybody. Everywhere he went, he'd whistle or sing the hymns of faith.

Today, I think he would be horrified at what the Emergent Church leaders are saying (or NOT saying.)

Still, Brian McLaren has one thing in common with Andy Wilson: They both took a stand against modernity (tho coming from opposite ends -- and Dad would have said "modernism.")

Comments

  1. Anonymous8:46 PM

    Mark
    Your Father Had a Great Impact on my family. My uncle, Rev. Dale Duvall is buried in the Cemetery beside the Fargo Wesleyan Church.
    I am A Pastor & and my Son is one of my associate Pastor.
    Thanks to your Fathers faithfulness God has has blessed the Duvall Family.
    In His Service
    Joseph T. Duvall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:15 PM

    How wonderful! Thank you for sharing this Joe. Dad was the most joyful and godly man I've ever known. God bless you and your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:05 PM

    It was just about a week ago they had a poll on the local Christian radio station about the last time you had heard a sermon about hell. I believe the results were that 50% had either never heard a sermon about hell or hadn't heard one in the last 5 years. They had one the next day about the last time you had heard a sermon on Heaven. I did not hear the results on that.

    I know that we should love one another, the saved along with the lost. Sometimes though I feel like we are close to loving people straight to hell because were are afraid of saying what is right is right and what is wrong is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:11 PM

    You should love all people, but you do not have to love their actions. They had better hear the truth that makes them mad, then a lie that makes them happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:34 PM

    People who are bold enough to tell the truth often suffer greatly. "Kill the messenger" (at least emotionally and verbally) is often practiced when persons do not like what they hear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:49 PM

    Mark,
    Your Dad had a huge impact on me. I was saved at 7 years of age under his preaching. He wasn't afraid to call sin "sin" he told about heaven and hell. Your dad would be horrified and the stuff that McLaren is trying to pull over on the flock.

    Brian Votaw

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession