Virginia Tech

As the tragic story unfolds this week, we are left with the haunting question:
"WHY?

I'm sure that's what the families gathered today for funeral services of the slain students are asking. There's just not a very good answer to that question.

Over the years, I've dealt with a fair share of tragedy in my ministry, and have had several people look at me, as God's representative, wondering, "Why??"

Any bungling attempt to give an answer is woefully inadequate. When people ask me "why", I simply say, "I don't know." It doesn't do any good to give a theological discourse on the problem of evil or the philosophical foundation for suffering. "I don't know" is the most profound answer available.

Then I try to steer them towards two other questions: "How?" and "Who?"

How are we going to get through this?
Answer: One day at a time. One moment at a time. One breath at a time.

Who is going to help me get through this?
Answer: My God, who carries me, and my friends who care about me. We'll get through this together."

Some insightful posts on the Virginia Tech tragedy:
Pastor Rod
Scott Wenig, Out of Ur
Mark Batterson

Comments

  1. Anonymous11:09 AM

    Living here in VA and having relatives who work at VT this has been a very emotional week. I have looked to the Lord for understanding and Mark you are right it is not a question "WHY".

    Evil has been with us since the garden of Eden and will be with us until God calls us home. We are here but for a brief time. This evil act is a reminder to me of just how brief that time can be.

    I thank the Lord for his saving grace and love and that is what I am focusing on at this time.

    It does my heart good to see the thousands of lifes that have been touched and to know that Gods kingdom will grow as a result. Even in tragedy his LOVE will come to the forefront."HE RAINS FOREVER"

    Tim in VA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, thank you for the comment. We lift up prayers for you and everyone impacted by this terrible ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, has this taken you back a couple of years to the hunting tragedy in your own "backyard?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:04 AM

    Yes it has. And also to another incident where the oldest members of our church were murdered.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies