A Celebration

The church filled up with Maira's friends and family today, as we celebrated her homegoing. We had two choirs, a praise band, a duet, two soloists, a videographer, and two preachers to help bid her bon voyage.

I'm wiped out right now. Personally, Maira's memorial was hard to officiate. I've conducted over 200 funeral services over the years, and usually can keep my emotions at bay, while I'm speaking. This time, however, I found myself choking back tears the entire time.

Robyn, an accomplished musician, sang "I Can Only Imagine." It was absolutely beautiful -- and I blubbered through the whole thing.

Afterwards, I asked her how she did it. I cried just listening - -and she was able to sing each word with calmness and clarity.

She said, "I did my crying before the funeral -- and then I made sure not to look at anybody and channeled my grief into the song for a deeper meaning."

I wish I had thought to ask her that BEFORE the service.

Comments

  1. I thought you did a beautiful job. Your emotions were comforting. I brought a friend along who knew Maira; she isn't a "church-goer", and has mentioned numerous times how touched she was by your words, the choir, and songs. Many thanks to all who helped us say good-bye to Maira on Thursday.
    Your friend,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a little bit more to say. Not only were your emotions comforting, but they were in a sense confirmation to me that it was okay to let my own emotions show. Prior to the funeral, I hadn't even cried yet because it all seemed so surreal. The actual truth of it all came at her funeral. The emotions that I heard in your voice, and showed in your face were incredibly comforting on such a difficult day. Thank you for your honesty.
    Your friend,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies