Practical Theology

Edith Stalinsky, who taught twenty years
in second grade Sunday School
had a terrible problem.

The red crayons were all in an ice cream bucket
on the new shelf the trustees had erected --
a shelf hammered to the wall by two six foot volunteers
who placed it squarely at eye level --

far beyond Sister Stalinsky's reach.

And hunched with osteoporosis,
the dear teacher, barely five feet in stockings,
had no way to retreive them.

Oh, what was the poor lady to do?
Only 15 minutes until class time.
She must not disappoint the children!

Edith hobbled down the hall to the pastor's study
and furtively browsed the shelves.
There it was!

Just what she needed -- in four hefty thomes!
H. Orton Wiley's Christian Theology!

Snatching the Grand Depositum,
she lugged the books back to the Primary room,
where she plopped them on the floor,
climbed aboard, and on tip toes,
rescued the crayon bucket!

Who says theology isn't practical?


Comments

  1. That's GREAT! It reminds me of my first FLAME class I had....Church Leadership and Management. I had the older version of the Robert's Rules of Order .....the thick version. I love how you thought it more practical as a level for the easel! I now have the smaller version and so glad I had your class, as I am on a board that is required to use those rules and no one was familiar with the process. You did a good job, cuz I remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:41 AM

    As long as the trustees don't do anything to place the CHILDREN out of reach, it's a minor problem...
    I could certainly recall many such insignificant barriers in the last 15 years, but prefer to remember instead all those precious faces!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession