A Night on the Chippewa Flowage


Yesterday, I took my sons, Luke and Wes on an overnight canoe camping trip on the Chippewa Flowage. The Flowage is Wisconsin's largest wilderness lake, with a maze of over 200 islands. Campsites are available at about eighteen of them.

After getting lost, and meandering for miles, with a boatload that resembled the Beverly Hillbillies, a kind fisherman pointed us in the right direction. Actually, he pointed us in the right direction about four different times. I think he got a kick out of watching us flail and zig zag. We had been totally turned around and disoriented, and were, indeed, grateful for his help.

Later, Luke said, "We didn't even get the guy's name." To this I replied, "I wouldn't be surprised if his name is Gabriel."

By late afternoon, we'd found our way to Cedar Tops, where we set up camp, and for a delightful evening, we were kings of our very own island! Went fishing and caught a few. Went swimming twice. Cooked over the fire. Told stories in our tent late into the night.

We saw several loons, blue herons, bald eagles, mother ducks with little ducklings trailing behind, and an otter.

Exhausted and happy, we just arrived home just a few minutes ago. My arms feel like they're going to fall off. My legs are sunburned. My back hurts. My neck is stiff --- and I feel great!!

Comments

  1. Mark - Enjoy absolutely every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:58 PM

    Mark, you certainly have the same directional challenges as your older brother, Sam.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies