Yikes!!

I returned from a couple of delightful and inspiring days of District Conference to find that the comment section on my "What Wesleyans Do Well" post morphed into it's own incredible life form!!

OK gang -- here's the scoop:

1. I deeply appreciate the many regular readers of this blog. Hundreds of different people from all over the world come by each week. I have several daily readers. Some weekly. Some are hit and miss -- but I am grateful for each one. The vast majority has never commented. I'd love to hear from ya!

2. I appreciate all those who leave comments. The negative and controversial ones are fine with me. (I've deleted a few that I thought were totally inappropriate -- but not very many.) I want people to have freedom in this forum to say what's on their hearts. Anonymous comments are ok with me too, but I'd like for them to steer clear from personal attacks.

3. Those who speak negatively of their church experience are helpful to me. They help me remember how important it is to love and take care of my people. I hope other pastors reading this blog feel that way too. It's an eye opener. When I read Walt's comment about his deeply painful experience, my heart broke. I prayed for him, as well as all the others who have been wounded by the church, and/or "slipped through the cracks." Those who speak positively of their church experience are even more helpful -- as they point out how to do it right!

4. My primary reason for creating this blog in the first place was to encourage and bless small town and rural pastors. I hope to be a ray of sunshine and hope for them. Of course, I want to remind them to stay on track spiritually and relationally -- but my intent has never been to beat anybody up or to smack 'em down. Pastors get beat up enough as it is. (Note -- I recall reading some research a few years ago, saying that the three most difficult jobs are: the president of a university, the ceo of a major medical center and a pastor. Once, by chance, I ended up in a meeting with a university president and a hospital ceo. We compared notes and sympathized with each other!)

5. I would like to encourage Justin to keep blogging. I'm sorry you received such negative reactions, Justin. I feel badly about pointing your post out -- as it seems to have caused difficulty and pain for you. That certainly wasn't my intent. I thought your post was insightful and thought provoking. If you decide to bail out of blogdom until you've been duly ordained -- I understand. However, you have many gifts and insights that are needed by your church. I appreciate your humble spirit. God has great plans for you. Congratulations on the upcoming ordination.

6. On another note -- I thoroughly enjoyed District Conference. Our speaker, the dynamic Mick Veach, knocked our socks off! I also marveled at the graceful way Dr. Jerry Pence led the business meetings. He explained everything clearly, made sure that the majority won, the minority was respected and heard, and that everybody had the right to participate. He's a good General.

7. My dear friend and assistant pastor, Heath Davis, was ordained last night. I was honored to stand behind him, as a mentor, to pray over him during the act of ordination.

8. The District elected me as one of their three ministerial delegates to General Conference, which will be held in Orlando in June 2008. I am honored to be chosen by my peers to represent them at these important meetings. Maybe I'll go to Disneyworld.

Comments

  1. Look what happens when you go away for a few days! Sounds like conference was great. Congrats on being elected a delegate to General Conference next year. We have a few weeks until our conference. Keep up the good work. Blessings to everyone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:41 AM

    The challenge is to turn all 'Walt' churches into 'Marcia' churches.

    Mark, Perhaps we will see you at Walt Disney World. HaHa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:51 PM

    Amen Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justin - - - thank you for the lovely little note you left on my blog. I wish I could e-mail you some encouragement, but since your blog is gone I don't know how to reach you. If you find this comment, e-mail me at keepiedaniece@yahoo.com.

    Thanks all for indulging this private little message to Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries. I am still around. Still around and still Wesleyan. Mark, you did not but HONOR me by mentioning my blog. It was great and yes, I will come back someday soon.

    I would give anything to be a district delegate to GC 2008. That would be incredible. I can wait though..not long...but I can wait.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies