A Delightful Saturday

Steak and eggs at the Men's Breakfast. Yum! I was on the "docket" as the speaker for the event -- but pulled a "bait and switch." I asked my dear friend and out of town guest, Wayne Richards to speak in my place.

"Are you sure you want to do that?" he asked. "Maybe some of the guys are coming just because you're speaking."

"Nah!!" I replied, "Nobody's going to do that. They hear me every Sunday. I think they would love it a lot more if you spoke." (Besides, a minister needs to be ready to preach, pray or die at any given moment.)

So -- just before the breakfast started, Gary, a fairly new attendee came into the Fellowship Hall and shook my hand vigorously. "Pastor, I heard you were speaking at the Men's Breakfast today, and didn't want to miss that for anything!"

Wayne and I looked at each other and laughed.

After I introduced Wayne, he gave a powerful message about trusting God completely and not trying to control or manipulate the outcomes. It was a direct hit with the guys.

On the way out the door, Gary said, "Well, I did come to hear you speak -- but I'm sure glad I heard him instead!" I think that was a compliment for both of us.

After hosting my friends for a meal at Famous Mark's (consisting of leftover chicken from Famous Dave's, and warmed up pizza from Pizza Hut), I conducted a wedding at Hatchery Creek Park.

It was a beautiful outdoor ceremony in the woods -- and the weather was perfect for the occasion.

Later in the afternoon, we met up with Wayne, his wife Tammy, and their two delightful daughters, Hannah and Rachel -- and went to the "rope swing." It's the #1 Requested Destination point of the Wilson tribe -- "Dad. . . can we go to the rope swing again, Pleeeease?????"

It's a big leaning tree on the Tiger Cat Flowage, with a rope attached, where you swing out over the water and land with a big splash!

We concluded the day with roasting hot dogs and s'mores over a campfire in the back yard and while the children played, Wayne, Tammy and I had some good "preacher talk."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies