Doxology

Yesterday at church, I used Thomas Ken's classic hymn, "The Doxology" as a springboard for the sermon. This song has been sung in more churches, by more people, in more places than any other hymn in the English language.

Yet, "the Doxology" we know is not the complete song. It is merely the last verse of various hymns Rev. Ken penned (all with the same tune -- each hymn consisting of a bunch of verses.)

As chaplain of Winchester School, he taught the students his hymns, and they sang them every day -- a Hymn for the Morning, another one at bedtime. He also wrote a hymn for the middle of the night, if you can't sleep or have bad dreams.

So, I took the wild risk, and led the congregation in singing all three hymns -- like an acapella choir. They did great and sang with gusto!

Morning Hymn
Awake, my soul, and with the sun
Thy daily stage of duty run;
Shake off dull sloth, and joyful rise,
To pay thy morning sacrifice.

Evening Hymn
All praise to Thee, my God, this night,
For all the blessings of the light;
Keep me, O keep me, King of kings,
Beneath Thine own almighty wings.

Midnight Hymn
When in the night I sleepless lie,
My soul with heavenly thoughts supply;
Let no ill dreams disturb my rest,
No powers of darkness me molest.

Doxology
Praise God from whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavn't host;
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:29 PM

    Thank you!! That was GREATLY appreiated!! I'm going to start singing them in the morning, before I go to bed, and if i wake up in the middle of the night. I really think this will help me!! Thanks again and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:18 PM

    I absolutely LOVED yesterday's sermon. I have always loved the doxology and have always felt it brings me closer to the Lord when I am in prayer. What a wonderful surprise to find out the history AND that there are more verses!! As a matter of fact, last night our oldest daughter could not fall asleep (even after prayer)and we sang those beloved lines together...She was asleep in minutes!! Praise God!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies