Pizza, A Real Wisconsin Badger, and Bartender

Today, our family is headed four hours south so I can perform the wedding ceremony for my niece, Caitlyn and her fiancee', Lee. Tonight, the rehearsal dinner will be a Pizza Doctor's -- the wildest pizza buffet we've ever seen -- much to the delight of the Wilson kids.

Yesterday, my friend Marge called and told me that as she was jogging by our house, she saw a badger poking his head out of a hole. We've been wondering who was living in that hole! I told her she'd better leave our pet badger alone. Who needs a watchdog, when you have a badger to protect you?? I called the Department of Natural Resources, and they said not to worry about it too much -- there's probably a momma, a daddy and a few kids -- but they'll leave us alone, it's not a colony, just a nuclear family -- and they'll probably move on. "Just don't stick your hand in the hole." the ranger advised.

Also, yesterday, we bid farewell to our friend, Peggy Van Guilder with heartwarming funeral services and a trip to Greenwood Cemetery. During the "share time" at the funeral, one lady made a profoud observation about Peggy, who had served 30 years as a bartender at the Moccasin.

"All the customers would want to talk with Peggy, and she seemed to know everybody and everything about them. I asked her how she could remember all that and she replied, 'I don't remember everything -- only the thing that is most important to that person. Then, when I see them next, I ask them about that most important thing (family, work, some project) -- and they feel like I'm an old friend who knows everything about them.'"

Comments

  1. The Pizza Doctor -- sounds fun. I'm sure my kids would enjoy it as well.

    That's probably good advice the ranger gave you. "Don't stick your hand in the hole." There's probably an application in there somewhere!

    Your friend Peggy offered great advice for all of us who deal with people. What is most important thing to the people we work with? Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:56 AM

    Isn't it wonderful that Peggy was remembered for the wonderful person/friend she was instead of where she worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you insinuating that those young men who play football down around Madison way aren't REAL Badgers?

    Yikes - - - don't let THEM hear you say it!!! It's bad enough that you let me, a BIG BADGER'S FAN hear you say it!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:51 PM

    Sam,
    I am truly ashamed for the attitude that our church has for you and Linda. I for one am very sorry for the part I played when I was blindly lead.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession