A Great 46th

Yesterday, my 46th Birthday, was filled with lots of special surprises.

It was a splendid autumn day -- one of the most beautiful of the entire year!

My "Backroads Coffee Card" had ten punches -- so I got a free coffee!

My family turned my vehicle into a "Happy Birthday Car" and took me to Perkins for lunch. A group of ladies from the church was sitting in the booth next to us, and gave us nice discount coupon!

Wayne, our plumber friend, came by the house for a repair -- and threw in a new water valve as a birthday gift. (His jingle is let Wayne-o clear your drain-o)

I received an e-mail from a church planter in Swaziland, who heard an interview I did for pastors on a cd -- and wrote to say "thanks." That was amazing.

A thank you note arrived in the mail from a man who received significant spiritual help this week. We're going to light the faith candle for him this Sunday.

A lady I don't know stopped my on the street and thanked me for my newspaper columns. She said she cuts them out every week, and pastes them in a scrapbook. I was impressed by her discipline.

Roger Ciskie, my good friend from Naples, Florida, shared some excellent insights with me concerning being a missional church. After visiting with him, I wanted to run out and take on the whole world! His wife, Dee, invited us to bring the family down sometime for a getaway.

A swarm of asian beetles showed up to buzz their their birthday greetings.

My mentor and former District Superintendent, Russell Buck cleared out some papers from his study, and brought by some fabulous articles from yesteryear -- a real gold mine of Wesleyan History, and a great reminder that the issues which get us all in a dither today will look really stupid in forty years.

Kerry Kind called from the Education Department at Headquarters, and expressed his appreciation for the ordination classes I teach across the country. I appreciated his kind words.

I had some fun, connecting my friends at Indiana Wesleyan University with my friend, Famous Dave.

My sons Adam and Ryan phoned in from Iowa and Indiana respectively to express their love. It made my day to hear from them. I also had "Happy Birthday" wishes from my mother and Cathy's folks.

The family bought me a Boston Creme Pie -- and gave me some thoughtful gifts, including Sudoku puzzles and the new Grisham novel. Hannah gave me a beta fish.

Early in the day, I read all the 46th Chapters in the Bible. There aren't many -- most books aren't that long. But the best one was Isaiah 46:4, which says, "Even to your old age and gray hairs, I am he who will sustain you."

Ben Witherington's blog mentioned the Senility Prayer:--- Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Now, that's what I call a Happy Birthday.

Comments

  1. Definitely HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! What a blessing to hear the great things that happened in your day. I love to hear the positive outlook you have for everything in life.....even the beetles! ha ha!

    And....I also say a HUGE thank you for the time you take out of your busy schedule to invest in the lives of Pastors and to-be pastors. I am blessed to sit under your teaching. Looking forward to a great class in a couple of weeks! It will be my last FLAME class. I am reaching the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Sounds like #47 has to be even MORE incredible next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was the Grisham book the one about "They Play for Pizza" by any chance? I just heard an interview with Grisham about that book on NPR the other day - - - and loving football, it caught my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:59 AM

    Happy birthday.

    Let me knwo how the book is.
    i like the bible verse idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic day you had! What I love the most, is that you found such joy in things many would overlook, or not give much attention to (such as the beetles!). You have inspired me to make mountains out of molehills for the good stuff in life!!

    I'm glad you had such a great birthday... you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Mark. I will echo Joy's comments. Thank you for your encouragement to the small, rural church pastor. It is greatly appreciated. Thanks or holding the torch high.c

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession