Jim Dunn, Spiritual Formation and the Green Bay Packers

We were honored to have Dr. Jim Dunn, General Director of Spiritual Formation for the Wesleyan Church, to speak at our church yesterday. He did a fantastic job -- and really blessed the people (although I took some good natured ribbing -- "You only work one day a week, and now you bring in a ringer for that??")

In the afternoon, Jim and the team from the Spiritual Formation Department (Colleen and Steve) conducted training for our teachers at the Spooner Wesleyan Church. It started as the Packers trailing the Chiefs by six points with less than four minutes left in the game.

I snuck back to the vehicle and listened to Favre lead the Packers back for the victory! I don't know what that says about my spiritual formation -- but it was fun.

In his talk, Jim shared a lot of good insights -- but I was especially intrigued by his "5 Things People Want to Know About Your Church."

1. Do I fit here? This is a question of acceptance.
2. Does anybody want to know me? This is a question of friendship.
3. Am I needed? This is a question of value.
4. What is the advantage of joining? This is a question of benefit.
5. What is required of members? This is a question of expectations.
(We should have held a moment of silence for Jim's Colts)

Comments

  1. Hey - - - ease up on our Colts, the season isn't OVER till the Fat Linebacker Sings!!!!!

    I don't remember throwing any stones at you when your Packers lost.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry -- we love and bless the colts -- as long as they're not playing the packers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings