Conversations with R. A. Torrey

The past couple of mornings, I've been delving into the works of the great late 18th and early 20th century evangelist, R. A. Torrey.
Ever since I discovered his writings a few years ago, he has become a spiritual mentor to me. I own four or five of his books, and refer to them often.
Two years ago, I had the privilege of going through Torrey's papers at the Billy Graham Center Archives. I spent an entire day reading his sermon notes and handwritten reflections.
The greatest treasure in the collection was Torrey's own, personal Bible -- with many handwritten notes scribbled in the margins. I'll never forget that powerful experience.
Yesterday, I came upon the only recording of Torrey's voice. He's preaching a sermon entitled, "Some Reasons Why I Believe the Bible to Be the Word of God." I found it to be quite inspiring to hear the voice of this great hero of faith.
One of my favorite pieces he wrote is "Why God Used D. L. Moody" Powerful!! Convicting!! I think every ministerial student ought to read it ten times.


Comments

  1. Well, given that I am a ministerial student for four more weeks, I thought I should read that piece. LOL!

    Wow! Let it be in me too, Lord! Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies